Philosophy 102 â€“ Ancient Philosophy
Department of Philosophy, History & Politics
Faculty of Arts
Instructor: Dr. Geoff Bowe
Phone/Voice Mail: 377-6098
Office: AE 377
E-Mail: [email protected]
Office Hours: M,W 13:30-15:30
Course Meeting Times and Location:
M: 12:30-13:20 AE 104
W: 12:30-13:20 AE 208
F: 12:30-13:20 AE 104
Louis P. Pojman, ed., Moral Philosophy: A Reader, 3rd ed. Hackett, 2003.
This course is an examination of classic moral positions from the 5th Century BC to the 20th
Century. We will examine, through the reading of primary texts, moral theories grounded in
intellectualism, virtue, natural law, duty, contract, utilty, genealogy, anarchism and
discourse. Emphasis will be placed on critical and comparative assessment of key ideas in
the history of moral thought.
Students will gain knowledge of the main philosophical theories of ethics, ancient and
modern and learn how to reason critically and philosophically about ethical theories;
students will express this knowledge in two essays and an essay-type final paper.
Paper 1: 30%
Paper 2: 30%
Final Paper: 40%
Schedule of Readings:
WEEK STARTS reading no pages Section
SEP 9 intro
no class sep 11
SEP 14 1 1-17 What is Morally Right Conduct?
SEP 21 2, 3, 4 19-37 Moral Relativism vs Moral Objectivism
SEP 28 6, 7, 8, 9 53-79 Ethics and Egoism
OCT 5 11,12,13,14 104-126 Value: What is the Good
OCT 12 17 139-146 Utilitarian Ethics
no class oct 12,
OCT 19 18, 20 147-156, 168- Utilitarian Ethics
no class oct 19 178
OCT 26 21 179-192 Utilitarian Ethics
NOV 2 22, 23 193-228 Deontological Ethics
NOV 9 25 239- 246 Deontological Ethics
no class nov 11
NOV 16 26, 27 247-259 Virtue Ethics
NOV 23 28, 29 260-286 Virtue Ethics
NOV 30 32, 33, 35 308-317, 327- Morality and Religion
- Related pdf books
- POTENTIAL HEALTH SAFETY HAZARDS - Thompson Rivers University
- FACULTY OF ARTS
- Scope of Practice - Thompson Rivers University
- STUDENT OFF-CAMPUS SAFETY AND TRAVEL POLICY OLICY UMBER ADM ...
- Academic Capitalism in Japan: National University ...
- Pre-Employment Industrial Trades Mechanical Programs
- First Nations & Aboriginal Affairs Committee (FNAAC) MINUTES
- FIRST NAME WENDY MIDDLE NAMES MARIE
- OLA Editorial Style Guide
- Learning and Development Plan, Human Resources
- 2006 Committee Members - Thompson Rivers University
- Volume 3Issue 1 Wellness Newsletter - Thompson Rivers University
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Admissions: Open
- Preparing for… Job Fair 2007 - Thompson Rivers University
- Master of Science in Economic Sustainable Management
- Strategic Priorities
- Horticultural Gardens
- Popular epubs
- History of Western Philosophy I: Ancient Philosophy Hendley ...
- Philosophy 20A: History of Ancient Philosophy
- Workshop on Ancient Philosophy 6–7 June 2012
- 24.200: Ancient Philosophy Prof. Sally Haslanger October 25, 2004 ...
- Route-Review in Journal of Ancient Philosophy-English
- Phil. 102: Introduction to Philosophy Test 3: Philosophical Ethics ...
- The Ancient Quarrel between Philosophy and Poetry
- Teaching Ancient Philosophy
- History of Ancient Philosophy
- Ancient Philosophy and Everyday Life
- Department of Philosophy
- Fall, 2006 PHI 300 (16269) Classical Greek and Hellenistic ...